MYSQL client builds and OSX

There’s a problem getting the mysql client libraries for OSX working as they are. The dynamic loader has a problem loading the lib.

dyld: Library not loaded: libmysqlclient.18.dylib
  Referenced from: /Users/mungeduser/Desktop/work/cvs/media/client/test/_bin/Darwin.x86_64/test
  Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap

One solution is to modify the dynamic lib to

bash-3.2$ sudo install_name_tool -id /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.18.dylib /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.18.dylib

[Network Administration]: Clean OSX setup

Well, my laptop had been acting up, and I’ve decided to clean install everything. I’ve got my copy of 10.8 Mountain Lion to install. I went with the clean install since I’m not sure why things are not running properly. I generated a USB install drive on one partition for Mountain Lion following this writeup, and leaving the rest open for future versions if necessary. The post has a section at the end for putting multiple boot images on a single disk.

Couple of things that I noticed. First, since I’ve moved most of my information to the network, this was less painful that it could have been. I loaded the template from the previous post, and I had my network accounts coming across from the filer, so those were all ready to go right away. Not without a couple of errors here and there. First, for my LDAP accounts, I was not able to access the Users & Groups pane from the system preferences. If I tried to open the page, system preferences would just crash. Turns out there is a LDAP attribute that was missing for Mountain Lion. In my new mapping, I mapped GeneratedUID to the uidNumber attribute in my directory. It’s working fine so far.

Second, I wasn’t getting syncing when I created my mobile account. I would just get the standard skeleton account for a new user even though I was able to log in through my network credentials. It wouldn’t even try to sync from my network home. I got a number of “home path is nil” errors in my FileSync log. I think that it tried to sync, but was failing almost immediately. Based on this post, I added OriginalHomeDirectory in my LDAP mappings to the homeDirectory attribute in my directory. Also, I used the -u option to calling createmobileaccount. This seemed to resolve the issue. Now my call to createmobileaccount looks like

sudo /System/Library/CoreServices/ManagedClient.app/Contents/Resources/createmobileaccount -n USER -X -s -v -u nfs://SERVER/EXPORT_PATH